BEAT THE HEAT
Living in Cyprus in the middle of summer is really a challenge and so I share here with you some tips of how to survive the heat in a country as hot as this.
- Shut out the sun – Keep blinds and curtains closed during the day as a preventative measure to stop your room from overheating.
- Find a shadow – It is known that it is not desirable to be exposed to the sun during 11am and 3pm.
- Eat light and regularly – Metabolic heat is needed to break down food, so eating smaller portions can help keep you cooler. It can also help not to eat heavy and hot meals. Try to opt for salads and fruits.
- Fresh clothes – Avoid dark colours and keep summery with whites and creams, as these are more likely to reflect the sun’s radiation.
- Power of water. Fill buckets or basins and soak your feet. Wet towels and bandannas can have a cooling effect when worn on the shoulders or head. Take cool showers or baths, and consider using a spray bottle filled with cold water for refreshing spritzes throughout the day.
- During very high temperatures the tendency is to transpire a lot and this makes us dehydrated . Therefore, it is essential to drink plenty of water throughout the day to ensure hydration.
- Air-conditioned rooms – At very high temperatures during the day try to go only with air conditioning. At very high temperatures during the day try to go only with air conditioning.I personally prefer during the day to attend only air-conditioned places and during the late afternoon is the night I take walks outdoors.
I hope you found these tips helpful. I wish all of us good luck to survive the ardent Cyprus! (: