Cyprus Folk Art Museum
The Cyprus Folk Art Museum (location on map) was founded by a few keen members of the Society of Cypriot Studies in 1937 and is housed in the premises of the old Archbishopric Palace. In 1961 the seat of the Archbishop of Cyprus was moved to the new palace. The Society then approached the Archbishop who graciously handed over the whole of the premises of the Old Archbishopric to the Society, to be used for its activities. It was at that time from 1962 to 1964 that extensive reconstruction of the building was carried out, at the very great expense of the Society with the help of His Beatitude Makarios III (Diamantis, 1973, 1).
The richly decorated Gothic arch with the 16th century fresco of the Annunciation, which bears the end of a Greek inscription was uncovered in 1950. The fresco was conserved in 1995 by the Society and the Department of Antiquities.Many of the items of this museum were donated, others were bought either directly from the villagers or from private collections. Most of the items were made in areas that are now occupied by Turkish troops. Samples of weaving, pottery, embroidery, lace, costumes, metalwork, woodcarving, basketry,